Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Week 3, Day 3: Halfway Point!

I can't believe I'm halfway through my internship already! I feel like I still have so much to do and so little time! Today was one of my favorite days so far, and I'll explain why in a bit, but first I have to do a little photographic rewind and post some pictures from yesterday to make up for last night's photo-less blog post. I mentioned I worked in horses in the morning. There are two horses in particular that I really enjoyed being around: Helen and Amir. Helen has been blind in one eye her whole life and has gradually lost sight in her other eye over time. She's a beautiful horse, but she just makes me laugh because she lies down and groans all the time. The first time I witnessed it, I thought she was dying! But it's just how she is! Here she is in her beautiful surroundings:

The cool thing about Helen is that she has a boyfriend, Amir. They live in the same pasture and he is her eyes. I love them together. He's a very handsome horse, with a great personality. Here I am with him:

If you aren't familiar with horses, you may be wondering why they're both wearing masks. Those are fly masks to help keep the flies off their faces. Oh, and yes, I'm wearing two jackets in this picture because it was freezing out in the morning, but in the high 80s later that afternoon. Crazy Utah weather. A huge thank you goes out to Ron for letting me borrow his jacket to wear over mine!

After mucking, we had to dump all the fragrant horse poop in its proper place. I captured this gem of a shot of Ron, in his new favorite Fredonia t-shirt, in the act of dumping tons of horse poop!

Okay, so now that we're caught up with photos, I can tell you why today was one of my favorite days so far. The first thing I got to do today was go to puppy socialization class. These puppies had amazing manners already and were so precious! The puppy I worked with, along with my fellow intern, Megan, was named Utter. Here she is:



It's almost too much cuteness to handle! After working on some manners and commands with the puppies, they were allowed to have a little playtime. Here's a clip of it for your viewing pleasure:



After working with the puppies, I headed over to another area of DogTown called Maggie's. I've been wanting to work in Maggie's since I found out about it. Maggie's houses dogs who need to live alone and who have some behavioral issues to work on. But they are sweet, wonderful dogs. Usually it's just one or two things that bother them, so we really try to work on those things with training so they can be adopted. I loved the dogs I met there today and I really liked the caretaker. I walked several of the dogs and took notes on their behavior throughout their walks. I like that this particular dog run takes special note of animal behavior and training. I am excited to focus more of my time there in the coming weeks.

In the afternoon, I was back at Rescue Village, bonding bunnies. I'm really enjoying this work. It's really rewarding to me to help a rabbit find a companion and also free up space for more rabbits to be rescued. My first pair that I started bonding have been together each day, supervised, for about a week now. They are Benjamin and Fargo. They're doing so great that tonight, they are being allowed to sleep in the same run, unattended. I'm praying it goes well, and I think it will, given how close they've become this week:

I will be calling Rescue Village first thing tomorrow morning to see how they did overnight! Today, I started bonding a new pair of rabbits: Piper and Scooby. They were very nervous the whole time, but showed no aggression towards one another. We'll have to see how they do in the next few days. Assuming it goes over well with the powers that be, I will be doing bonding as my internship project, and writing a pamphlet to hand out to visitors and potential adopters about why we bond rabbits and how to do it. The rabbit staff is really excited about this project! I love the staff up there. I'm even recording some video of the bonding so I might make a supplemental youtube video on bonding as well, as time permits.

After work today, I went to a talk by one of the founders of Best Friends, which was interesting and fun, but made for a long day. I came home and spent some fun time with my host family. Now I'm getting to bed too late! Tomorrow, I'll be in DogTown all day, first at the Fairway, where I worked my first real shift a couple weeks ago, and then in training class and on an outing with Pepsi, my project dog. After work, I'll be attending the blessing at Angel's Rest, where the sanctuary animals are buried once they've crossed the rainbow bridge. It's a beautiful place and I know I'll cry, so I should probably bring a box of tissues! Anyone can have their pet honored at one of these blessings. When my last dog died, I sent in a donation to Best Friends in honor of her and specified for her to be part of the blessing at Angel's Rest. A ribbon with her name on it was hanging with many others from the tree branches at Angel's Rest. 

One more thing before I end this blog (mostly because I don't want to end it on a sad note!): I heard from one of the vets who works here and does a lot of research in animal behavior, which is my biggest interest. I had asked him if he wanted help with anything that I could do for a project and he got back to me today saying there might be something I could do to help him with the current study he's working on. I'm really excited about that and will meet with him Friday to talk more about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment