Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Packing Progress - 3 Days Until Utah

I got a lot done today: I renewed my driver's license (and the photo even came out decent!), I organized some things, made sure bills were paid, etc. Most importantly, I got my suitcase out of the closet and ready to be packed! So far, all that's in there is a really good pair of hiking boots and one of my dietary staples that I'm bringing in case they don't have it in Kanab!


This is the smaller of my two suitcases. You'd think for a 5 week trip I'd take the larger one, but my luggage is old and very heavy, so if there's any way I can fit everything in the smaller one, I'm going to try! Anyone want to place a bet on if I can do it or not?

I also went to a local thrift store today that sells some cute things, and for only $30, I bought two pairs of pants and a t-shirt to bring out to Kanab. If they get dirty or ripped or covered in red dust that no laundry detergent of any strength can remove, I will feel better knowing they're not my favorite pair of jeans!


I know I obviously have a long way to go in my packing, but I also have a lot of laundry to do first. I really don't think I'll end up needing too much, even though it's a long trip. I will have access to free laundry machines, which helps a lot. Life out there seems very simple, and it's all about working with animals and being out in nature. I'm pretty sure I don't need to pack super fashionable outfits.

One big packing decision I made today is about what camera to bring. I am hugely in love with photography and I'm lucky enough to have a nice DSLR camera. So, given that the place I'm going is absolutely beautiful, I naturally wanted to bring my good camera. However, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered how I'd carry it while working with the animals and if it would get broken or dirty out in the canyons if I go sightseeing on a day off. So, I'm playing it safe and bringing my point-and-shoot. My photos will be less glorious, but I can have it on me at all times and it's many years old, so I won't have to worry about it. Now if only I can find its battery charger...

Tomorrow I hope to get my packing essentially done (including writing up a grocery list of things to buy in Kanab that my medical conditions will allow me to eat!). I also want to make sure I have the directions down for getting from the St. George airport to Kanab. If I can do all that tomorrow, I'll get to relax and spend time with family on Friday before I leave. I'm already getting sad about leaving! I won't see my family for a while even when I get back because they'll be traveling themselves. I'm very family-oriented, so that's tough for me. And what am I going to do without Lincoln, our family dog?!


I will miss him so much! But he gets a ton of love from everyone in the family, and the animals at Best Friends may not even know what it's like to be around a loving human, so I know I need to leave my baby boy for a while and help the other animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment