Tuesday, September 4, 2012

4 Days Until Utah!

So Excited!

Guess what I got today? My schedule for the first day at my internship, which is exactly one week from today! I'm so excited. Just seeing it on paper makes it so real. I'm really going to be working with all these animals! Looks like the first day will be long, but very informational and give us interns a great overview of the Sanctuary. 

I've also confirmed my aisle seat status on all my flights, which makes me very happy, and the address of where I'll be living during my internship. Like many interns, I'm renting a room at the house of a Best Friends staff member. They seem like such a lovely family, even though we've only corresponded through e-mail and voicemails so far, but I'm really looking forward to meeting them.

Confession: 

I have not even gotten my suitcase out of the closet yet and my plane leaves for Utah in 4 days. Normally, I'd be fine with this because my trips aren't usually 5+ weeks long so I can pack quickly! But this time, I'm beginning to realize, I have a lot of planning and running around to do in the next 4 days. And by the time I blog tomorrow, that suitcase better be on my floor accumulating clothing and other necessities. If I mention a goal in my blog, that holds me accountable, right?

The dangers of drugstores...

I had such a great day yesterday enjoying Labor Day, that I was a bit tired today. But that didn't stop me from running a few errands, including the drug store. I wanted to make sure all medications, vitamins, and supplements were ready for my trip (see yesterday's post as to why these health boosters are absolutely essential to me). As it turned out, there was a long line at the pharmacy, so I had about 20 minutes to kill in the drugstore (CVS). This is dangerous. I ended up caving in on my spending freeze and buying some new makeup. I should never be left alone in a CVS (one of my best friends from high school will vouch for this, since we used to spend hours there back in the day). As much as I love getting outdoors for a run, or rock climbing, or playing outside with animals (in other words, getting completely sweaty and dirty), I also love makeup artistry. So whenever I get cleaned up, I love to try new looks, techniques, and, unfortunately for my wallet, new products. However, I will probably never be seen like that at Best Friends because I'm pretty sure the only makeup powder I'll be wearing will be the red rock canyon dust. Fine by me!

Sadness with a motivational silver lining

It really hit home for me today how much I need to be involved in animal rescue and welfare. On my errands, I was driving near my home and saw a bird a split second after he/she was hit by a car. I was horrified. The bird was still flailing in the street, alive and in pain, as cars just kept driving over it (but not hitting it with their wheels). I nearly lost it. I thought of all the fear and pain that bird must be feeling and I felt so incredibly helpless to make it any better. It broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I know that we all die, but sometimes the manner just seems so cruel. Seeing that bird made me so grateful that I have the opportunity to help other animals in need. It made me want to help thousands of animals and comfort them and give them a life without pain, because I couldn't do that for this one tiny animal. Who knew running some errands would have such a powerful effect on my motivation? You just never know what you'll see and where you'll find inspiration, even if it's in sadness.

Missing my other passion

Aside from helping animals, my other great passion in life is music. I'm a classical musician (unfortunately it's not my day job, but I do what I can). Of all my happiest moments in life, I'd say probably 99% of them have included either helping an animal or performing with an orchestra. Tonight, my orchestra is having their first rehearsal of the season and I'm sad that I'll be missing our first concert! So here's wishing a great season opener to all the amazing musicians in the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra! I can't wait to play the rest of the season when I get back!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some new make up to play with...I mean...a suitcase to pack! 




1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading and following you as you go on your adventure to Utah. *jealous*... Pack the suitcase. Then play with the makeup. :-)
    You're going to do great out there!

    ReplyDelete