Monday, September 24, 2012

Week 3, Day 1: Pepsi Explores Kanab

My morning shift today was at Dulcie's, which is the octagon in DogTown where Pepsi lives.


Because dogs in this area were rotating in and out of the dog park all day, I got to take Pepsi on an outing all morning! I was so excited to spend hours of quality time with him, in which we could bond and work on behavior and manners. Our first stop was Tara's Run, the training area right near Pepsi's run. I know he loves going to Tara's and we were lucky enough that no one else was there. I let Pepsi run around and get some of his wiggles out. Here's a video of when we first got there. Please note: I do not always talk with such a high-pitched, enthusiastic voice (oh, the things we do for dogs!).



After Pepsi explored to his heart's content, I worked with him on some of his commands. He knows "sit" very well and does it nearly every time (you can guarantee a sit if you have a treat in your hand). He does not know "down" as well, since we just started working on it last week. But we worked a little on it again today and here he is getting it right!



Pepsi loves to climb around on the agility equipment, but I had never tried to get him to jump through the hoop before. We gave it a couple tries and here's one of his attempts. Not too bad!






After resting on my lap at Tara's for a while, we decided to move on to our next stop: the Welcome Center! Pepsi just loves it there because all the staff and visitors adore him. He gets constantly petted and given lots of treats. Everyone comments on his looks and how sweet he is. I hope to take him there often so that he might meet his match for a forever home! He was much calmer there today than yesterday, despite more distractions. He even took time to stop and smell the flowers:



Next, Pepsi and I left the Sanctuary together for the first time. He's really good at riding in my car! We headed into Kanab to walk around town. Our first stop was Critter Corner, the local pet supply store. Pepsi went shopping and wanted to buy one of everything. The owner was incredibly nice and completely fell in love with Pepsi.



We kept the car parked at Critter Corner and continued to walk a few blocks into town. We passed several shops and restaurants. As it turns out, Pepsi is quite the Kanab celebrity! We could hardly walk a few minutes without someone calling out his name and wanting to say hi! There are lots of sanctuary staff and volunteers around town, so he can't go anywhere without being recognized. We also met lots of locals and tourists from all over the world and they all wanted to pet him and say hello. He was so good walking on a leash with all the distractions of town!





Our final stop was a trail right by where I'm living. I decided to take Pepsi on a walk there to stimulate him with a new environment, since I'm sure he's very familiar with the trails around DogTown.



Pepsi and I took turns leading the way on the narrow path, and he had great recall if he ever got to the end of his leash.



Before we left the trail, we stopped to rest on a bench (and of course he crawled right into my lap!) and we just enjoyed the beauty of the day and our surroundings. We were both happy to snuggle up, and Pepsi snuck in some big slobbery kisses to my face. We headed back to DogTown right before lunch and I think we both had a really great morning.





So after seeing all this, you probably want to adopt Pepsi, right? If you're interested, click here!

My afternoon was spent working in another area of DogTown and it was pretty typical. The one cool thing that really stood out in my mind was that I got to go to a vet appointment with the caregiver and one of the dogs. Best Friends is very holistic, so this dog was headed to a vet who performs chiropractic work. It was wonderful to hear how much progress he'd made since the last time she saw him. His back, hips, and neck were all doing a lot better and he only needed one small adjustment. He had gained a really healthy amount of weight since last time and his coat was gleaming. I felt really lucky to get to see all that in person.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, since I'll get to work with Parelli horse training, visit some special dogs, and work with rabbits in the afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. I loved the videos, Jill! So cute! What a great puppy, and he has an awesome trainer/caretaker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike and Shannon! And by the way Mike, if you think he's such a great dog (which he is), he says he wouldn't mind moving to Pennsylvania... :)

    ReplyDelete