Monday, September 10, 2012

Out and About in Kanab

I am very happy to report that I had a much better night's sleep last night. It was such an exhausting day yesterday, even though I hardly did a thing. Just dealing with altitude sickness and homesickness was almost more than I could handle. But luckily, I have some amazing people in my life that talked to me and helped me get through the day. I went to bed early last night and hardly woke up at all in the night. What a relief. Today I'm feeling a bit better. I definitely still have some altitude sickness (mostly in the form of a headache, fatigue, dizziness, and inability to do much walking around without feeling like I'm not getting enough air). So I'm going to take it easy this afternoon and go to bed early again tonight, since my internship starts tomorrow.

But since I had a little more energy this morning, I got out and about around Kanab a little bit. First, I drove to Best Friends to see how long it would take to get there and to make sure I could find my way to the Welcome Center. Have I mentioned how gorgeous it is out here? I felt like I was driving through a picture perfect postcard the entire drive to the sanctuary. The sanctuary itself is much bigger than I had imagined...and I only made it as far as the Welcome Center!



Not a bad place for horses to hang out, huh?


I have a bunch of other pretty pictures from the Welcome Center area, but for some reason they're uploading with distorted coloring, so this will have to do for now.

After checking out Best Friends, I went into town and looked at some of the local shops:




It feels so different here than anywhere I've ever been. Everyone is very friendly and I'm beginning to learn how the town is set up so that I don't get lost as much anymore. I've been to all three markets in town, including a vegetarian market called Laid Back Larry's that is awesome. I told them about a certain type of cracker that I can actually eat, but can't find anywhere around town. The woman who owns the place said she knows of them and will order them for me to arrive next week! How nice is that?!

I can't believe my first day of the internship is tomorrow. I'm excited because I've seen how beautiful Best Friends is in person now. I'm also anxious about getting my dietary needs met and also being able to keep up with a full-time job given that I'm not feeling very well with the altitude and at this point in my recovery from chronic illness. Mostly, I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, I have an adorable cat curled up sleeping under my right arm and a snuggled up dog right next to that. I adore the animals that live here. And it only took me 3 days to learn all their names!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Jill - I am so happy you are there. I am so jealous. But in a good way. I want to be there with you. Doing this. Maybe next year?? Its a dream. I love sanctuaries. I hope more veg food becomes available for you with your dietary needs. I miss you ALOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh BTW its so beautiful - and I want more kitties and puppies to snuggle! Have you skyped with Lincoln?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you would definitely love this, Carrie! If you ever get the chance, I can't recommend it highly enough! Haven't skyped with Lincoln yet. I miss him!

    ReplyDelete