Thursday, September 6, 2012

Packing Overhaul - 2 Days Until Utah

Laundry Day

Doing laundry can be kind of a chore, especially when you have mountains of it, and you need clean clothes to pack for 5 weeks in another state. However, my laundry enjoyment has greatly increased in the past year and a half due to a certain 4-legged family member who LOVES laundry. When he was a tiny puppy, Lincoln would just steal your socks and run as you tried to empty your laundry basket. But, as the mature, gentlemanly puppy that he's grown to be, he actually enjoys helping with laundry! He will pick things out of the hamper and hand them to me to put in the washer. And he leaves the clean clothes alone. He knows he's only allowed to "help" with the dirty stuff. Plus, he's very thorough. He makes sure that absolutely nothing gets left behind in the hamper:



Suitcase and camera switch-up

Who was I kidding when I thought I could pack for a 5 week trip in my small, carry-on sized suitcase? I threw a few random things in there throughout the day that I knew I'd need and by afternoon it was full. And I hadn't even started packing clothes. So I made the switch to my large suitcase:


This will be a much better fit. To the left you can see the random things accumulating to be packed. Inside the suitcase are my food staples. And to the right, my towering pile of clean laundry, all set to be either thrown in the suitcase or put back in drawers. By the way, I did wash the hamper liner after Lincoln was done inspecting it. My clothes will end up slobbery and full of dog fur, but at least I can give them a brief period of true cleanliness! 

I'm also having second thoughts about only bringing my point-and-shoot camera. I think I might bring that for daily use at Best Friends and around Kanab, but if I end up going to one of the National Parks or the Grand Canyon (which is not far away at all!), the photographer in me will just be dying if my DSLR is at home. I think I might bring both now...

The list

One final useful thing I did today was to make a list of everything I use during the day, including toiletries, food ingredients, clothes, and my computer. Everything I used today, or could imagine needing to use on an average day, got listed. So I think all I have left to do tomorrow is pack the rest of my clothing and make sure that everything on my list is either packed or I can buy it at the store when I get to Utah! I can't believe I only have one more night at home after tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment