Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 4, Day 3: Pepsi, Clinic, and Bunny Bonding

Unfortunately, I do not have any good pictures from today, as my point-and-shoot camera has died. Well, the lens has died anyway, so it may not be working for a while. I'll do my best to post pictures from my iphone in the future and of course I'll bring my DSLR if I go anywhere particularly scenic.

Today's morning shift was an outing with Pepsi. We followed our usual routine and went to the training area called Tara's Run. Pepsi and I did some clicker training, he played on the agility equipment, and sniffed around. He loves Tara's Run! At one point, I was sitting on a table at one end of the building and he was at the opposite end. He decided he wanted to check in with me, so he launched into a full on sprint. Those strong little legs make him one very speedy dog! So I have a 70+ pound dog running full speed at me and he launches himself into a jump up onto the table and lands right next to me before gently crawling into my lap and slobbering my face with kisses. It was such an enthusiastic and loving moment. I know a some people would be frightened with a pit bull mix headed toward them at full speed, but Pepsi doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He's one of the gentlest souls I've met. He is proof that we should judge the dog, not the breed.

Pepsi and I spent the rest of our morning at the Welcome Center, where he met with his fan club and introduced himself to a ton of new visitors. He made friends with everyone. Some are cautious to approach him (he does have a very large head!), but as soon as they seem him sitting in my lap, giving out kisses, and calmly lying down, they all come around to love him. Most people walk straight toward him because he is so adorable and has a completely magnetic effect. I truly cannot wait for him to find his forever home.

Pepsi and I ended our morning a bit early because the interns had a tour of the vet clinic before lunch. It was very interesting to see the clinic and all of the wonderful staff and equipment that help diagnose, treat, and maintain the health of the animals at the sanctuary. On a personal note, it was a tough tour for me to take because I've had a lot of medical trauma, mainly stemming from surgical issues, so even though this was not a human hospital with humans on the operating tables, it reminded me way too much of my experiences. I prefer to stay out of operating areas whenever possible! This is why, as much as I love animals, I could never be a vet. Luckily, there are many other ways to help the animals.

After lunch, I headed up to Rescue Village to smoosh some bunnies (aka bonding rabbits). We pulled together the four rabbits that we started bonding yesterday and worked on them again today. They did really well overall. I was able to be outside their pen for the majority of the time. They ate some greens and groomed each other, and relaxed a bit from yesterday. There was one small tussle, however, that required me to squirt them with a water bottle and break up the fight. They all calmed down afterward, but I was a little disappointed in that setback. I just have to remember that bonding rabbits does not happen overnight and I need to be patient.

I was exhausted after work today and didn't feel the greatest because I'd hit my head really hard on a metal frame earlier in the day! Talk about a headache! So I've been relaxing this evening and enjoying the company of my host family. It'll be wonderful to get a good night's rest tonight and look forward to a day full of dogs tomorrow. I get to work in one of my favorite areas of DogTown in the morning, followed by training class with Pepsi in the afternoon. I am so grateful for this experience. How lucky am I to look forward to my job everyday?! The people are amazing, the setting is paradise, and the animals heal my soul. No wonder it is called a sanctuary. If it weren't for a few things that I miss a lot while I'm here, I would be applying for a job at the sanctuary right this moment with no hesitation. I know it will be a big part of my life from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment